Friday, October 3, 2008

SWITCHED!

Thank God! I got my job description switched to environmental education. Just sat through my first EE-specific presentation and I'm so excited. I'll be teaching in a school, probably working with younger kids, and also leading environmental clubs, chats and trash campaigns. At first they told me I couldn't switch because they had promised x munber of sites an agroforestry volunteer, but then my lovely friend Anna wanted to switch out of enviro ed, so it worked perfectly.


I also learned to salsa, merengue, bachata and cumbia today -- all Latin American dances that I'm sure I will use during my time here. We also started dancing to reggaeton until it got too embarrassing (which happened quickly.) The four of us who are living in my community already went to a birthday party where all the Salvadorans put on music and yelled at us to dance. But they weren't even dancing -- they just wanted to watch us and laugh. So we booked it soon after, but it was dark when we walked home and all the dogs were running around the community, most of which have been exposed to rabies. So we picked up huge sticks and kept walking while all around us dogs ran and barked and howled, but it was so dark we couldn't even see them. By far the most petrifying experience I've had...


Cell phones coming in a week!
Here is 4-year-old Brian and the dog, Muñeca, who only eats tortillas and watermelon.


Post a comment or e-mail me please! Keep me in the loop!


5 comments:

Jess said...

Yay so glad to hear you were able to switch! You'll have to teach us those sweet dance moves when you get back to the U.S....maybe I can bust them out in Bentley's or something LOL LOL LOL! MIss you!

Anonymous said...

OMG barking rabies dogs is my worst nightmare. So jealous of your moves!!

Anonymous said...

Hola! I read your blog to Grandma,Grandpa, Auntie Mary. Grandpa wants to know how hot it gets. When does the growing seas on end? (Also Grandpa)
Also we tried calling you on your cell phone, but it definitely wasn't
you that answered!
Rabid dogs? Are you serious?
Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

Alia~

I used my IM name to log in for your mom! You can teach us all how to dance now!

Be safe!

Aunt Mary

Anonymous said...

Alia!!! I hope things are going as smoothly as you want... I miss you and Collin is do so much better!