Monday, November 3, 2008

What day is tomorrow?

Seriously, I was asked that and blanked. "Um, November 4th? Our lesson on deforestation?...oh, ELECTION DAY!"



Yes people, you know you live in a village in a Thirld World country when it takes you a few seconds to remember that. But the plan is still to watch the returns from the hotel in town. My friend is making guacamole and we're all buying chips.



As a (former?) aspiring journalist, I'm used to projecting objectivity, but if you know me you know who I voted for. I'll just come out and say that I can't imagine a Peace Corps volunteer wouldn't vote for Barack Obama. Especially since he promised to expand the Peace Corps, which most of the staff here has been praying for after 8 years of budget cuts. Our ag-for/environmental ed group is half the size of the previous group. I think tomorrow we might be taking a shot for every swing state that goes to Obama.



I have to dash off to a soccer game (maybe I'll be ruthless!) but here's what last weekend included: a trip to a pool complete with fish that nibbled our feet, a super-fun village dance, and Dia de los Difuntos, or the Day of the Dead. If you've studied Spanish you know what this is -- the people buy brilliant paper flowers and decorations and place them on their relatives' graves. Some of them even hang out at the cemetery and eat and the kids play with toys on their grandparents' graves.



Swearing-in is so close (the 14th!) and then I'll be a real volunteer. I just bought a dress at the market for the occasion. I haggled and everything.



Paz y amor -- we'll probably know who our next president is the next time I post!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

<3 you. I had a dream last night (actually, during a nap I took this morning after voting at 6 a.m.) that you showed up in the Post's newsroom. I was super excited to see you but you were like, "Oh...hey" and then made your way to the vending machine. And then back to El Salvador.

I think that's my subconscious saying I miss you and I hope you're getting good snacks :) But those chips sound delicious!! Enjoy the day!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Alia:

Sounds like you're adjusting well to life in El Salvador. I'm glad you got the assignment you wanted.
The newsroom was abuzz last night as the election results came in. There's no better time to be a newspaper person than on Election Day.
Take care!
-- Mark Skoneki