Sunday, July 5, 2009

Happy Fourth!

Yesterday my youth group had a big convention with the youth group from a nearby town. And today they are going hiking.

I was not there for any of this. Why? Because it was Independence Day, and all the Peace Corps volunteers had a soccer tournament (the ag/environmental volunteers won 2nd place) and fun parties in the capital.

I should feel guilty for choosing my American friends over my site, but I don't, because I'm sure the Salvies understand...after all, everything shuts down and there are huge parties on their independence day (September 15, the day before we got here actually.)

In other news, everyone has been following the coup d'etat in Honduras, but it has not affected our safety in any way here. Swine flu cases have been increasing, closing down schools in and near the capital, but my school is not affected. One 9-year-old boy died of swine flu after being treated 4 times for pneumonia; the doctors and hospital involved are being investigated for negligence.

I might be going to the movie theater for the first time since September, in order to see...Transformers!

Have to run, pictures later...

No comments: