Thursday, September 17, 2009

One Year Anniversary

Yesterday, Sept. 16, was the one-year anniversary of our arrival to El Salvador. Some people have been saying this year went by so fast, but I definitely feel that I've been here that long.

A lot has changed. I, formerly the D.C. bright-lights big-city girl, now live in a rural farm community and for the most part am used to it. I don't go out on Saturday nights, or really ever after dark. My projects involve building and growing things (NOT my area of expertise) instead of observing and writing things. I used to always be going a mile a minute and now I have a lot of time alone.

But, like I said in my earlier post, I really miss my old life, maybe too much. Thanks everyone for their advice on what I should do.

In a year, I don't feel I've achieved a ton, but that's actually OK -- the big stuff doesn't usually get done until a volunteer's second year. I have taught A LOT of English classes, some environmental classes, helped the youth group organize trips and fundraisers, helped the school with various events, gone to a few trainings. Tomorrow is our field trip with all of 7-9th grade to the national agricultural university and agrotechnology center, which has been months in the organizing, and we're about to start computer classes too. And I've just gone to a lot of village events and worked on projects with pending outcomes -- getting stoves built, getting scholarships for some high school and college students. And I've been put in charge of the Peace Corps traveling theater group. It sounds like a lot, or maybe it doesn't -- it doesn't to me because there's still so much time spent not doing much of anything. I've made a few friends in my community, but my best times have been with my fellow volunteer friends, in the capital or travelling around the country.

I guess we'll see what the second year holds. If I make it that far!

Paz y amor.

No comments: