Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Don't you mean Mexico?

After more than a year in El Salvador, my laptop has died. It is refusing to turn on. Needless to say, I made several phone calls to tech support, and needless to say they were not helpful. But the worst part was not that they couldn't get my computer to work. The worst part was that none of the three agents I talked to knew what or where El Salvador is.

Seriously???

Every time I mentioned that I was in El Salvador, I was asked if I didn't mean a different country. "Oh, isn't that in Spain/Mexico/Texas?" I wasn't even polite to these people. I laughed in their faces (earpieces?) and said "No. It is a COUNTRY."

"Is that in South America?"

"CENTRAL AMERICA." "Jesus Christ," I even added, semi-under my breath, the third time I was asked to clarify. Which is funny because El Salvador means the Savior and therefore refers to Jesus Christ. But I wasn't trying to explain the origins of the name. I was trying to explain that this person was an idiot.

One woman (not the one I said "Jesus Christ" too) actually got offended and said bitingly, "Sorry. I'm not familiar with it." Wow, what a great comeback. "Sorry, I am embarassingly ignorant."

I understand that El Salvador is a small country that isn't in the news much. But am I too outraged here? I mean, it is close to the United States, there are a lot of Salvadoran immigrants in America, and shouldn't anyone with a high school education know at least which continent any given country is on?

Anyway. I brought the computer into the capital today and left it at a workshop. Keep your fingers crossed!

Paz y amor.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Wow. The ignorance of some people -- isn't it amazing?! Just another reason it's nice to live outside the USA.

Unknown said...

I'm sorry hun, people are stupid, but what can we expect when "all your bases are belong to us" is a widely used phrase in society today. Good luck with the computer!

Meaghan Shanahan said...

Yo, Alia. You doing okay down there in rainy El Salvador? Floods are nothing to mess around with, and when they make it into my top three news stories on iGoogle it makes me worry, half a world away.

Salvi_Alchemist said...

Funny story. Now you know how most "unfamous" Latins go through. Unless youre Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, Dominican, or Colombians, most people dont know much abot Latin America.