Sunday, October 3, 2010

Perquín y pescado

Just got back from a few days in Perquín, which was an ill-timed trip considering how much I have to do to wrap up my service...but was actually a good idea, as I didn't want to leave El Salvador without seeing this place, famous for its natural beauty and civil war history.

Tropical Storm whatever-it's-called-this-time (we had two in one week and I've stopped tracking names, since we've had like 15 since April) prevented us from hiking much, but we visited El Mozote, a neighborhood where 1,000 people were massacred during the war, and the civil war museum in town. We did climb a small (and slippery!) hill dotted with bomb holes, and the top afforded us a pretty good view of the surrounding hills and even parts of Honduras.

I can't believe I only have two weeks left. Sometimes I'm sad about it, but usually something happens to cheer me up about leaving before I get too down. For example, this morning my host family left a basket of fish in the shower. Thanks, fam, for lessening my close-of-service regrets.

Pictures from Perquín:
The wall comemmorating the El Mozote victims
American anti-war propaganda (the US government was funding and training the Salvadoran army, which committed atrocities such as the El Mozote massacre)
From the top of Cerro Perquín
Paz y amor.

No comments: