Sunday, June 14, 2009

Feria de la Piña

Today is our town's annual Pineapple Fair, which is apparently famous nationwide, but I didn't realize exactly how famous until I got here...and saw tourists from all over the country and food food vendors ripping them off, especially the rich ones from San Sal. And me and my Volunteer friend, seeing as we are gringas.

There are probably about 6 TV stations here, including Telemundo, whose cameraman was unobtrusively filming me...too bad I was wearing a stained t shirt and basically didn't care about my appearance at all when I got dressed this morning.

Vendors are selling pineapples and any possible food or drink made from them, including chicha, a strong pineapple liqour, pastries and pineapplesauce. I never thought I'd say this, but I kind of don't want a pineapple for a while.

Other highlights of this week have included unexplained stomach troubles and a beautiful hike through a national park that was so unexpectedly difficult that I have been taking painkillers for the past few days just to regain my ability to walk.

Pictures of the fair and the hike to come.

Paz y amor.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Could those "unexplained stomach troubles" come from the massive amount of pineapple you're eating? It's very acidic so maybe that's bothering you...?