Saturday, August 29, 2009

Dress Success

I don't really have any news to report since 2 days ago. My life is not very big right now. The ant invasion in my house has calmed down slightly.

We swear in the new group of environmental volunteers on Friday and I had nothing to wear, so I went dress shopping. I knew the clothing store people would try to rip me off as soon as they saw my blue eyes, and so they did. For some reason that still really offends me. Even on the bus ride to the city, the fare collectors sometimes try to shortchange me. Just a nickel or so, but I always notice and call them out on it. It's just a nickel, people, it's not even worth dishonesty! And it's not that they're bad at math. They know exactly what they're doing.

After arguing with the bus fare collector and some people at a clothing store, I was tired of people trying to extort me. Luckily, I went to a big chain store with fixed prices and found a dress, jewelry and make-up for $8.50 total! Sometimes I complain about living in a Third World country, but you gotta love Third World prices.

Before you yell at me, these were not sweatshop prices. This stuff was imported from the States. I have no idea why it was so cheap but I'm not complaining. Plus, I ran into some of my host family while I was shopping there. I officially shop where the Salvadorans shop, and that makes me assimilated or whatever.

You can yell at me, however, for laughing at these Flight of the Conchords lyrics every time they come up on my iTunes (shout outs to my brother for giving me the CD):

They're turning kids into slaves just to make cheaper sneakers
But what's the real cost, cause the sneakers don't seem that much cheaper
Why are we still paying so much for sneakers when you got little kid slaves making them

What are your overheads?

Paz y amor.

1 comment:

Alissa said...

funny...i was just listening to that song on my ipod yesterday :P