Saturday, June 5, 2010

Hurricanes and other drama

Yes, hurricane Agatha hit here and the bridge out of my town washed out yet again. In a situation similar to Hurricane Ida, no one could leave my town to go sell their fruit or buy food and other necessary items, and the stores in our town were running out of stock because they couldn't go get things from the big city or have merchandise delivered...

I personally ran out of food and water very fast because the hurricane hit the day I was planning on going grocery shopping. So I basically already had nothing anyway. I spent a couple of days begging my host family to feed me and feeling bad because they were running out of food too.

When Hurricane Ida hit, I wasn't in my site and therefore couldn't go back to it. I spent a cushy all-expenses-paid week in San Salvador. This time I was in my village and couldn't get out of it. It had been raining nonstop all week, but I knew something worse was afoot when I woke up in the middle of the night Saturday and my house was flooded wall to wall.

Nothing important was damaged, and this time families in my village didn't lose their crops to landslides either. So we have that to be thankful for. And I finally managed to get a ride to the supermarket in a pickup truck that was skinny enough to cross the half-washed-away bridge.

I did manage to leave my site again Wednesday on the only bus that doesn't have to cross that bridge. Since then, I have been in the eastern part of the country directing and performing in environmental and sexual health skits. It's been super fun but this computer doesn't have a memory card reader so I can't put up pictures for you. Next time!

Paz y amor.

No comments: