Monday, August 23, 2010

Alia returns from El Salvador in need of a job!

After two years in the Peace Corps in El Salvador, I am coming home October 16. My immediate destination is my mother's house near D.C., but after that, I plan to move to wherever I get a job.
That's where you journalist friends and professors come in. I've started looking for jobs on the Internet but wondered if you have any leads -- contacts, job bank recommendations or postings you've seen that you could pass on? I'm already trolling through the UMD j-school's job bank as well as journalismjobs.com, but of course more resources are always welcome.
I've pretty much decided against looking in newspapers because of the job insecurity there. I am looking more at nonprofit journalism -- publications from organizations with focuses I like/have experience in. Examples are the environment, education (I was an environmental education volunteer here, so I mostly taught environmental classes and did projects in a school) and diversity, international or Latin American issues.
But I'm also not too picky. I know the economy is terrible and beggars can't be choosers. I might have to resort to office work at Peace Corps HQ in DC for awhile, and any journalism job would be better than that.
Even if you've got no job tips advice for me, let's meet up if you're ever in the DC area!
See you in October!

Paz y amor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AOL is doing major hiring for writers and editors right now. If you might be interested, shoot me a note and I can get your more info and specifics.

Unknown said...

If you are looking for a non-profit to work for you should check out idealist.org

Can't wait for you to get back