Sunday, August 15, 2010

Wrapping it up

Our close of service conference is this Wednesday through Friday. I can't believe how fast it's come! At the conference I will pick my flight date and let you all know when I have it.

Ideally, we're not supposed to be doing much work after our COS conference, just preparing to go home. I was planning to have all my project finished by then, but of course my community has been dragging its feet/not doing anything at all to finish these projects with me, so I will probably still have to work on the school vegetable nursery, the health dispensary and the stove projects.

A new volunteer is coming to replace me in mid-September and I'll probably also be orienting him/her for about a month before I leave. But I will have a lot more time for departure preparations, online job searching, and most importantly, in-country travel and fun.

We are apparently in the middle of another tropical storm. I can't remember many days since May when we have NOT been in the middle of a tropical storm. I washed my clothes Tuesday and they are still not dry. I am wearing damp jeans.

Coming home to my mother's dryer is so close...

Here are some pictures from Nicaragua!At the border. Later a bee landed on the lip of that Fresca can and I almost drank it, but Will grabbed the can on its way to my mouth and the bee fell in and drowned. I had been really happy to find a Fresca and was disappointed that I couldn't drink it. I believe I actually said, "I hate Nicaragua!"That dark blob on the branch is a monkey!We couldn't go to the top of the Volcán Concepción on the Isla de Ometepe because it had already spewed smoke 13 times this year. This is Will, our hiking guide and a German girl named Marian at the highest point we could go to. The water in the distance is Lake Managua.Volcán ConcepciónThe silhouette of the revolutionary Augusto C. Sandino where he was shot by a firing squad overlooking Managua in 1934 (not 1956 as I recently said -- that was the dictator Somoza, sorry). I can't believe that in all the material I've read about Sandino, no one ever mentioned he was 50 feet tall.Some 6,000-year-old human, deer and raccoon footprints were found in the mud near Lake Managua.

Paz y amor.

No comments: