Thursday, January 8, 2009

Back to the start

So I'm back in San Vicente, the place I lived for my first two months here, for training. Back with my old host family, who were as thrilled to see me as I was to see them. And back with my whole group, who are partying it up together for the first time since Election Day. Maybe there will be another history-changing moment.

The bad news is I forgot my memory stick at my old/new host family's house so I can't put up those pictures today. Don't get mad at me -- I had to get up at 4:30 a.m. just to get here. But the nice thing about being in the city every day is I can probably do it tomorrow!

As much as I love my site, being back here has its advantages. I am 20 minutes away from things like good pizza and ice cream sundaes. I get to hang out with a fun group of gringos (and my boyfriend!) 24/7 for a couple of weeks. I can get on the computer and/or go drinking every day of the week.

Some people think the best Peace Corps Volunteers are the ones who rough it the most. I say it's all about keeping yourself happy enough to do good work and be a friendly face in the community. And if that means two weeks of daily Snickers bars, alcohol and Internet, I say there's nothing wrong with that.

Paz, amor and dash me a note -- I could actually get back to you in 48 hours!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Wow -- welcome back to civilization. :P

Enjoy!