Sunday, January 25, 2009

It's 3 a.m. and I wanna go to be-e-ed

I don't really, which is why I'm blogging. In El Salvador I'm lucky to stay up until 10 pm, but I got to my grandfather's house at 1 a.m. today and everyone was still up waiting for me. So out came food, beer and wine. I love my family.

The flights still pretty much kicked my ass. I got up at 4:30 a.m. to take a $23 taxi to the only airport in El Sal, boarded an 8:30 a.m. flight to Houston and kicked around that airport for 4 hours. Did you know it's the George Bush airport??? Named after Bush Sr., but still. They have a big statue of him and everything.

I had to eat lunch in Houston, but unfortunately, all the food near my terminal was actually the same as San Salvador! Wendy's, Subway, Papa John's. At least I got my favorite thing at Starbucks -- a white raspberry mocha. It cost more than 4 meals in El Salvador.

The nice thing was that half the people in Houston were speaking Spanish. I still felt like I was in Central America.

The real shenanigans came at my connection in Newark. From there to Manchester it's just a 45 minute flight, but we sat on the plane for that long waiting for them to fix a computer, then they de-planed all of us and we waited another 45 minutes for a new plane. My poor mom and uncle were waiting for me in Manchester this whole time. And I was still feeling sick to my stomach -- I was going to wait until I got to New Hampshire to crib my family's medicine, but as the hours dragged on in Newark, I caved in and bought Gas-X at the airport. Who knew they sold that at Hudson News?

Anyway, now I'm back and somehow not tired. There are huge mounds of snow on the ground and it is literally zero degrees. It's nice to be back in the States, but after spending a week with hot showers and a day in San Sal with American food, it's not as mind-boggling as I thought it would be. Although my wonderful laundry party has not happened yet.

I don't think I'm going to blog much this week, because my grandmother's funeral isn't exactly relevant to the Peace Corps. The wake is tomorrow and there are a lot of funeral/burial/reception-type events Tuesday, but after that I think I'm just kicking around New Hampshire until Saturday. And there is wireless in this house, so chat me up.

Love to all.

No comments: