Sunday, February 1, 2009

Back to work

So I got to El Salvador late last night and the mixed feelings continue. First I got my suitcase and the airport hooligans had broken it -- the little pop-up handle that lets me tug it along doesn't work anymore. Then I got into a cab and realized I had no money to pay for it because I hadn't been to an ATM -- I was so used to swiping my card for everything in the States. And taking two buses to my site with a stuffed suitcase will not be fun. I already miss my car in the States.

I'm in the capital and still haven't been back to my site yet. I wonder how that will feel. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone but the rural life will seem even stranger after last week, I think. At least I won't be as bored as the week before training -- I get to start at the school and begin work on maybe reforming the community development organization that has apparently crashed and burned.

At least it is warm here! No more borrowing thick winter jackets, gloves etc. But on the flip side, I already miss snow.

I did get to see Emily at the airport, but just for 10 minutes because my flight was delayed. Thank God there was no one in line when I had to go back through security, and the gate was right there. Worked out perfectly!

Well, time to go to the village and start making myself useful again. Paz y amor.

1 comment:

Emily said...

It was so great to see you, I don't care if it was only for 10 minutes!! I can't even believe our scheme worked. Hooray!

<3