Thursday, January 7, 2010

I'm COLD!!!

And I'm in El Salvador!

How is this happening???

Everyone says that October and November are the coldest months in El Salvador, but it's Jan. 7 and I'm colder than I've ever been in my site. There must be some kind of cold front coming through. I just read in The Washington Post that things might get icy even in the South today, and temperatures in Iowa are supposed to hit -52 (!!!) so we must be sharing the same winds or something...

I should really stop being such a baby, because I'm guessing the temps this morning were in the 50s. Not the -50s.

In other news, being back is good and I'm starting a lot of fun new projects (notably the stove one). The work year has already started for teachers and classes start next week, so I should be getting busy pretty soon. It does feel weird to not be constantly talking to friends and not to have plans every night, and my sleep schedule is STILL off...at home I went to bed at like 2 a.m. every night and usually slept until 11, so I'm having trouble getting up really early and as a result I've been exhausted 24/7 since I got back.

Miss you all! Paz y amor!

3 comments:

umo said...

Cool! The stove project sounds fun, and useful. In regards to everyone getting married, wait 3 more years and it gets even worse! How am I doing? I’m still living in the frozen wastes of the great white north, but I have a vacation coming up. What are your stoves going to burn? I have seen a few articles and specials on what a difference an affordable and easy way to cook food and gather fuel can make in a woman’s life. It frees her up to do things other than collect sticks all day. Hope your having a good time -Ben

Alia said...

The stoves will burn twigs and corn husks, which are way easier to come by than the big logs Salvadorans usually use because they have to waste so much time and effort sawing the trees down, not to mention the environmental impact. Yeah, that quality-of-life improvement is something I pointed out in my grant application for this project. What are you going to do for vacation? (Come to El Salvador?? JK...unless you want to!)

Habibti said...

Are you from Iowa? I am too... and will be heading out to ES w/PC on WED. Perhaps we will meet? Loving your stories.