Sunday, January 31, 2010

Many parties and still no running water

Just got back from Playa Tunco, one of the most famous beaches in El Salvador. There we had a goodbye party for one of our group who is going home early because his wife (who was also here with him but is already back in the States) is pregnant! Of course everyone is sad to see this awesome couple go, but of all the reasons to leave Peace Corps early, that has to be one of the best.

Tunco is a really cool beach. We couldn't go out too far into the water, though, because the current is crazy strong. It's really popular for Peace Corps volunteers and tourists and we ran into one of my friends there who is an ex-volunteer. Unlike American beaches, Tunco lets you drink on the sand all day, and at night there was a bonfire and a drum circle.

I also got to shower twice, which was a huge relief since there is still no water in my site. Earlier this week my host family told me the big water pump for the entire municipality had broken completely that the utility will have to install an entirely new one, which they say will take a month. So I have a long month ahead of me, probably full of leaving site to shower and wash clothes in San Salvador, at nearby volunteers' houses or even at my boss's country house, conveniently located near my village. The latter option might be awkward but it's actually the most convenient for me...

My town is in the middle of our patron saint festival. Thursday night a friend from a nearby site came and we went to an alborada, where they set off fireworks and teenagers run around inside toritos, which are shaped like bulls and spray fireworks into the crowd, which screams and runs. Some sparks actually burned my neck and face during the alborada, and I got pushed around a lot, but there's no permanent damage.

I wanted to upload some pictures of the fiestas patronales, but this computer won't have it. Maybe next time.

Paz y amor.

No comments: