Friday, January 22, 2010

No cae agua

Every so often, a pipe or the town water pump breaks and no one in the village has running water for a few days. It's usually not that big a deal because water doesn't run 24/7 anyway and everyone has big cisterns to store lots of water for the times when it's not running. But this time we've gone a week without water and I finally had to escape to San Salvador just to take a shower (I am not publishing how long it's been since my last shower.)

I'm also spending the day organizing props for the Peace Corps/El Salvador theater group that I'm in charge of. Which makes me happy because at least it's one productive thing I've done in a long time. This has been a very boring month. I planned to hit the ground running on a bunch of new projects as soon as I got back from vacation, but everything I'm working on has been pushed back to February, as I might have mentioned earlier. So much for trying to space projects out. If all this stuff does actually happen in February, my head just might explode.

Yesterday my boss came to my site and met with me for our routine one-year site visit. Peace Corps volunteers enjoy a stunning lack of supervision, which is mostly fun, but I realized yesterday that I really do need to interact with my boss sometimes. It was nice to get recommendations about problems I'm having in my site and to put things in perspective -- I complained of boredom and my community's lack of willingness to work and was comforted (I guess) by his reassurance that this is par for the course. At least I personally am not doing anything wrong.

I will conclude with Emily's gem of a quote (for more gems, see my Facebook or just talk to the girl):
"i can't believe conan put a horse in a mink snuggie when there are places without running water
i am disullusioned now"

Paz y amor.

1 comment:

Jess said...

Bahahahah at Emily's quote!