Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Being bugged

Not much new to report, other than the fact that I'm being kept up night by HUGE insects that look like this (cribbed from Google Images as I haven't managed to take my own shot of one of these...I'm usually too busy running and screaming)
I would say that is about actual size. They are called chicharras and they either fly noisily around my room or, more commonly, land on my roof at night and hop around. My roof is corrugated sheet metal, so this sounds like there are large chickens or something on my roof. Sometimes they make loud insect noises like those old WeatherBugs too.

Equally annoying was the man who came up to me this morning and, without a word of introduction or pleasantries, asked me how my economic situation was and do I have a lot of money? As you probably know, I (and most volunteers) already have big problems with people in the community who think we are a. filthy rich and b. going to give them all our money and food and possessions. But I couldn't believe this guy. For the first time I was very blunt and said, I don't want to discuss that, it's private. Then I just looked away until he left.

I should probably run, as I have an all day teachers' meeting to get to. I think those are boring in every country and now have more respect for my old grade school teachers who had to suffer through the same thing. Albeit in air conditioning...

I will try not to complain about everything in my next post. Paz y amor.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

all day teachers meetings are TERRIBLE. I have memories of listening to Alba read aloud from 10 page ministry documents for hours. literally.

there is a crazy man in Ostuma who often talks to no one or God on the pay phone. He often asked me about my economic situation. I bought him a small ice cream sandwich once--I was buying one for a friend and he was staring and he asked me for one every day after that. fyi...

not sure this is the same guy..but he's there.

Good luck with the meeting!

Anonymous said...

girl that is a damn cicada, we have them in pg county too. they can't hurt you. and how could you forget this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/19/nyregion/17-year-cicadas-answer-cue-with-a-crunch-across-the-east.html

if you're brave, try grabbing them by both wings, then freak out your kids with it.