Saturday, March 14, 2009

Vota Asi

This week, my friends, has been pretty insane.

Super historic presidential elections are tomorrow. According to pundits and journalists (who are always right) the left wing political party that was once the guerilla force waging civil war might actually stand a chance of winning. All the Peace Corps is on stand fast mode, which means we can't leave our sites until two days after the election because of the possibility of violence. I came to town because it's so close I can walk there, so I didn't count it as leaving. Although I didn't feel like walking so I took the bus. Ha.

Here's a pretty good CNN article describing the electoral situation (thanks, Addie).

Because of elections, both major political parties have been holding rallies right outside my house because it's smack in the middle of my village. They have also flyered my house even though the local campaigners know I can't vote.

This week is also fiestas patronales, or the patron saint festival, in my village, which is named after Saint Joseph. So almost every day there have been entradas, or house parties where sweet bread and drinks are served and everyone donates money or flowers to the church. My youth group is having one this afternoon. There is also Mass every day (I have managed to avoid it but will go Sunday when my counterpart sings with the choir) after which there is always an alborada, or tons of fireworks set off in front of the church. And tonight there is a big dance which I will try to enjoy without drinking while everyone else gets wasted.

In true Salvadoran fashion, the mayor never even brought our solicitud before the council, so we don't have funds the dance the youth group was going to have Wednesday. I'm actually a little relieved, because my work at the school has reached unprecedented heights.

Monday morning, as I was in my pajamas washing dishes in the big outdoor sink, the school director walked up to me.

The English teacher had her baby, he said. Would I mind teaching English every afternoon for three months?

He actually asked me if I could help the new English teacher he hired, who does not actually know English. That way, me teaching the class is legal. But it has led to me teaching English pretty much on my own every afternoon. And if I ever need to miss a day, I have to translate a bunch of textbook activities for the teacher to give to the students, although she will not know if they're answering correctly.

Pair this with the Saturday English classes I teach, and English has become a large portion of my life. I can't complain, though. After all, I wanted that to be my Peace Corps job in the first place. And I only teach grades 7 through 9, which are my favorite ages.

Here are some pics of fiestas patronales:
The procession to the church after an entradaThe church with all the donated flowersThe right wing political rally that materialized outside my house
Setting off fireworks

Paz y amor!

2 comments:

Erin said...

What a fascinating thing to be in the middle of -- but stay safe!

Anonymous said...

Hurrah for teaching English! Glad to see you're still having such a positive experience down there :)