Monday, May 11, 2009

English and preoccupations

The English language is taking over my life. I am still supposed to be teaching it every day, but I am begging off yet again four days this week because of other compromisos, or other things I had already agreed to do. I feel only slightly bad about this -- after all, I never did agree to help out with English class every day. That is what my principal initially wanted, but I only agreed to come "as often as I could." Which is turning out to be not very often at all...

Ironically enough, Thursday is one of the days I am skipping out, to go help others with the English language. I am translating for Habitat for Humanity that day and I'm super excited.

Today I got on the computer and found out that one of my favorite editors and mentors left The Baltimore Sun for public relations. This guy used to basically run the show at The Sun and is the last person I expected to leave. Which, coupled with some recent conversations with Peace Corps friends, has me thinking a lot about the future.

I knew when I left for the Peace Corps that I was doing the right thing, as there are no job opportunities in journalism, the field I studied for four years. But I hoped things would improve by the time I came back. Now that doesn't look likely and I am directionless once more.

My friend Sara wrote this article for the Wall Street Journal describing the screwed-over plight of recent grads like me. And my friend Erin wrote a blog post that eerily describes my exact sentiments. Except for one: while I certainly want to continue traveling, I'm too panicked about financial security to hare off again as soon as I get out of the Peace Corps. I'm much more likely to go back to the States and nail down a steady job first, if I can, or -- dun dun dunnn -- go back to school?

Last Sunday I went to the beach with my youth group and some members of the community, and then I spent a week in training with the other ag/environmental volunteers. Pictures to come the next time I score a cooperative computer.

Paz y amor.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Peace Corps looks amazing on a resume though -- people are going to be fighting to employ you.

I keep hearing 2010 the economy will improve so that could work out well for you... :)