Saturday, May 23, 2009

Graduation day

Today my Saturday English class is graduating, and I couldn't be prouder of them. It's often frustrating to try to teach Salvadoran children, as half of them just don't care. Even for the ones that do, school is only ever half a day and is frequently cancelled, so even the older students have shockingly low literacy and comprehension levels.

These kids, though, have come voluntarily on Saturdays because they want to learn, and have done a great job studying and remembering everything they've been taught. I honestly think of them as my only real success in this site so far.

Yesterday was our belated Mothers' Day celebration. When I got there, rumors were flying around that I was going to do a choreographed dance in front of all the moms. "No! No! No!" I kept saying, and then I demanded to know who started this rumor. The principal readily admitted it was him, even though he knew no such thing would happen. One more failed attempt to throw the gringa into the spotlight.

Highlights of this week also include writing letters to my friend Meaghan's 5th grade class in Glen Burnie and getting left behind by a funeral procession (I was supposed to go, but they passed by my house so silently I didn't even notice! Only in El Salvador.)

Here is what the community center looked like on Mothers' Day.
I was in charge of this display.
Paz y amor.

No comments: